Sticky Chocolate Loaf Cake
A deliciously gooey sticky chocolate cake that stays moist for days!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 10-20minutes
250g unsalted butter, softened plus extra to grease
225g dark brown soft sugar
3 medium free-range eggs
150g golden syrup
1 tbsp vanilla essence
100g plain chocolate (melted)
225g plain four
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
25g good-quality cocoa powder
250ml boiling water
250g milk chocolate
2 boxes of chocolate fingers
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas mark 5 then grease and line a 900g loaf tin.
2. Place the butter and sugar into a mixer and mix for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, and mix well.
3. Gradually add the syrup, vanilla essence and melted chocolate – mix well.
4. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder into another mixing bowl. Add a third of the flour mix into the cake mix and blend well. Add half the boiling water, then half the flour mix and beat well. Now add the remaining water and flour, mix well.
5. Carefully pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes. Now reduce the heat to 170°C/fan 150°C/Gas mark 3 ½ and bake for another 30-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out almost clean. Do not worry if it’s a bit sticky – it will continue to cook whilst cooling. Remove from the tin, transfer to a serving plate and allow to cool.
6. To decorate, pour over half the melted chocolate and spread evenly over the cake. Now place the chocolate fingers evenly around the cake. Dip the strawberries into the remaining chocolate and place on and around the cake. Enjoy!